Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How can I find a vet who will soften a sheltie's bark?

Customer Question
How can I find...

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shetland sheepdog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the sheepdog?

Sharp,frequent barking--common among shelties

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the sheepdog seem to hurt?

No pain--just the barking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the sheepdog's name and age?

Teddy, age 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

No--a great dog, but the barking is excessive--I have had a sheltie whose bark was softened and much more liveable, and his personality was wonderful

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. It may also take me time to find a vet who will do that. Your patience is appreciated.

Can you give me your zip code and how far you are willing to travel?

Also if you are interested in training techniques to help stop excessive barking?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian