Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.
Did you mean that Zoey ingested a Mimosa plant seed (Mimosa pudica)?
If so that plant and its flowers and seeds are listed as nontoxic by the University of California toxic plant data base.
Any time a dog eats plant material the increased fiber or unusual food can lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhea but this plant is NOT truly toxic.
You also need to consider that dogs often eat plants when they are feeling nauseous/unwell. So if your pup has diarrhea or is vomiting perhaps there is another issue.
But if she is feeling fine then she should remain so, there is no need to worry about toxicity with this plant.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I'm sorry that you had to consult another site.
This plant is pretty safe too, except the seeds do contain a neurotoxin. Luckily one seed is unlikely to be enough to be a problem.
Toxic amounts are >10mg/kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight. So one seed will not have enough of the toxin to be an issue for a 30 pound dog.
I think your girl will be fine. I am glad that you picked the others up however. More would be an issue.