Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I took my Cain terrier on Aug 31 and a few days later he

Customer Question

I took my Cain terrier on Aug 31 and a few days later he started this awful hacking noise like some was stuck n his thoart and coughing I was told it could be kennel cough it's been about 12 days now it seems to be getting a little bit better I'm a senior and my dog is 9 yrs senior I really can't afford to take to me vet I could if I had to but can u give me maybe a home remedy or should I let it go a little longer Maybe a little longer help, help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blackberry Johnson he's up to date on as his shot
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Well I'm not able some days my legs just won't let me walk I'm like I should so I brought a treadmill for the winter months I haven't use it on him yet or myself
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Well, there is not really a home remedy for kennel cough. It has to be treated with antibiotics. If he has been on antibiotics, and he is not that much better, then it is possible there could be something else going on, like a heart problem, and he may need x-rays of the chest. As far as things you can use at home for coughing, Robitussin DM (only the DM formulation) is usually safe and can be used at 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours as needed for coughing. A little bit of honey can also soothe the throat. 250 mg of Vitamin C 3 times a day may help. Lastly, putting him in the bathroom with the shower on hot for 15 minutes twice daily may be able to break up any congestion and open the airway. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 29 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Blackberry Johnson is doing and to see if you have any other questions.