Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

What do you do if a dog gets bit by a bee or if he getsone

Customer Question

what do you do if a dog gets bit by a bee or if he getsone in their mouth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper 1 year
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: what do you do if a dog gets bit by a bee?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Cooper.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Not all dogs who are stung by insects (bees or otherwise) will need treatment. Those who eat them might experience discomfort in their mouth if they're stung before the insect is swallowed.

Dogs who have reactions to insect stings can develop hives, become intensely itchy or may swell at the site of the sting. If you want to avoid any possible complications, then otc Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight 1-2 times a day. Typically only one (or at most two) doses are needed. Sedation can be seen as a side effect of this drug, though, so it shouldn't worry you in he becomes more sedate.

Applying a cool compress to the sting site may also help to provide relief but take care that it's wrapped in a towel or something similar; you don't' want to apply it directly to his fur/skin.

I hope this helps, Deb