Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My minpin has mites and I can not afford to take her to the

my minpin has mites and...
my minpin has mites and I can not afford to take her to the vet she has lost most of her hair in the last 2 mos and has sores on her from scratching so much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the mite's name and age?
Customer: my dogs name is ***** ***** is 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chichi?
Customer: no
9/13/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you know if she has demodectic mange mites or sarcoptic mange mites?

Sarcoptic mange is contagious while demodectic mange is not and usually strikes very young or very old dogs?

Where did the hair loss start on Chichi?

What have you tried so far?

How do you know it is mites and not some other cause?

dont know was told by a friend it was mites, can not see yhem the lost of hair started with her back end and worked all the way to her neck,and she never stops scrathing.
ok what do I need to do for my baby?

Thanks for the additional information. I am not able to do phone calls at this time but I'll continue to answer via this format.

It will take me a little time to type up your answer.

what can I use to help her.

Unfortunately, there are many conditions that can cause a dog to experience hair loss including ringworm, mange, hypothyroidism, cushing disease and allergies. Let me go over the various causes and treatments you can use.

Ringworm can have a scaly reddish rash around the edges of the bare patches though there can be a rash in the bare area as well. Any over the counter antifungal cream for ringworm will work on this. The cream should be applied to an area slightly larger and for about a week after it appears to have cleared up. Here is a website on Ringworm:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

There are two types of mange and mange is actually caused by mites. Usually hair loss starts in specific areas of the body before spreading to other areas. It does not sound like mites to me but the only way to know for sure is a skin scraping. Amitraz Pour On (Mitaban Rx) dip done every other week for 6 to 8 applications or until 2 consecutive skin scrapings is one treatment. Ivermectin is also frequently used to treat mange but should not be used on herding breeds. Some herding breeds are hypersensitive to the drug and it can kill them. You can read about precautions, usage and dosing information here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/ivermectin-ivomec--heartgard

And about toxicity here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/ivermectin-toxicity-in-dogs

Additionally, there is some problems reported with using spinosad (comfortis) with ivermectin so I would check with your vet to be sure you are not using both concurrently.

Some studies have shown that topical application of 2.5% moxidectin–10% imidacloprid is effective against generalized demodectic mange. This might be a good alternative treatment for dogs with a sensitivity to ivermectin or herding breed dogs with the gene mutation causing ivermectin sensitivity. You treat weekly and have skin scrapings and exams done monthly. Treatment continues for one month after 2 consecutive negative scraping and then treatment should be continued once a month to prevent reoccurance if the dog is an older dog with compromised immune system

I've had some success with topical Happy Jack Mange treatment, but I will warn you that it smells like sulfur and stains everything it touches. It is not a good idea to have your dog in the house with this on it. However, I did see hair regrowth in a week with this product. I was also using ivermectin as well. Here is two on Mange.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

Hypothyroidism and cushing on these pages:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypothyroidism-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hyperadrenocorticism-cushing-s-syndrome-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Allergies are a frequent cause of scratching and hair loss and an be caused by many different things. Often a dog is allergic to fleas and they start with a hot spot in front of the tail and it ends up leading to a yeast dermatitis. Treating any problem without knowing for sure what it is causes a delay in the treatment of the real problem if your first guess is wrong. I really suggest you have your Vet examine the areas and diagnose this. Below are websites that will go into more detail on these conditions.

You can read up on allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If you suspect an allergy condition is to blame, you can give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

There might be a secondary skin condition in addition to the allergy such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis which I mentioned earlier. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

There is also a condition called alopecia which is basically hair loss. You can read all about it in this article:

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=7250

Some treatment methods for this are discussed on the following site. You might want to discuss this possibility with your vet.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2004&PID=8629&O=Generic

I'd start with a skin scraping at the vet if possible. If not you can try the benadryl and shampoos to see if that helps. If all else fails then you will need for her to be seen and have allergy testing and a skin scraping done.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner