Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a female Weimaraner who is 12.5 years old. She was

Customer Question

Hi. I have a female Weimaraner who is 12.5 years old. She was full of energy on Thursday and we did our usual walk of 2 miles and she pulled me down the street. We dropped her off to board over the weekend and picked her up yesterday, she is a totally different dog. She couldn't get in the car, she could walk more than a few blocks, she is in pain and she looks so sad. Can this breed deteriorate that quickly?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: nothing on her feet, I checked that immediately
JA: What is the Weimaraner's name?
Customer: Jessie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jessie?
Customer: She has a slight "leaking" problem and is on medication for that, other than that she has always been healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

It certainly sounds like she is sore or stiff. Does she have any history of back or neck problems? Any history of arthritis?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No history of back or neck problems. She has shown some signs of arthritis in the past 4-5 months, with sitting more "gingerly" but has always been very energetic at walk time, sleeps a lot during the day and is playful at night with her stuffed animals. She isn't eating much either. It is like someone turned a switch.

Dogs can be very good at hiding these things, especially a generalized stiffness and she may have gotten to the point where she is unable to hide it as well as she could. Is she currently receiving any medication for her arthritis?