Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We woke up to poop (regular not diarrhea), puke, and frothy…

We woke up to...

We woke up to poop (regular not diarrhea), puke, and white frothy stuff on the floor from our French Bulldog. I didn't feed himi this morning due to the vomit. I did give him an ice cube, which he licked. Then he went to bite it and carry into the living room to chew on the ice and he fell over. Then I noticed his eyes twitching from side to side with a slight head movement. I took him out to pee and he shook his head and fell over.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mugsy and 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mugsy?

Not that i can think of i do have a vet appointment this afternoon

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he still doing this?

I have locked him up in his crate and I'm at work. I'm leaving early to take him to the vet hospital.
I also noticed that he tried to jump up on the couch to sit and fell over. I googled it and I'm wondering if it is vestibular syndrome? up until now he has been fine. A few years ago, i know he had an ear infection and was having trouble eating but that was treated. He has bad allergies. He is allergic to his vaccinations and is fed a special diet.
I took a video of the head movements.

Thanks for the information. It sounds very much like he is having a problem with his vestibular system. The problem is determining the underlying cause. The most common cause is termed idiopathic vestibular syndrome, which basically means that there is no known cause, but it mainly occurs in geriatric dogs and resolves on its own in 1-2 weeks. He is a little young to expect that. Outside of idiopathic causes, an inner ear infection is the most common cause. Other potential causes are metronidazole (an antibiotic) toxicity, thiamine deficiency, middle ear polyp or tumor, head trauma, inflammation or infection around the brain (encephalitis) or a brain tumor. Your vet may want to run some blood work and get an x-ray to better evaluate the middle ear cavity. At the very least, they may put him on antibiotics and steroids. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you!

You're very welcome. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian