Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had diarrhea and now has vomitted 3 times a thick

Customer Question
white foam. He was panting...
My dog had diarrhea and now has vomitted 3 times a thick white foam. He was panting but is now asleep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No he had his normal food yesterday .
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** i adopted him 8 years ago at which point he was thought to be 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lou?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did Lou get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Breed?

6- Any other symptoms?

No he did not get into anything.
He woke me up at 4 am needing to go outside and that is when I found the diarrhea. He went outside and did his business and came back in. He was acting nervous but I think that was because he thought he was in trouble because he went to the bathroom in the house . I reassured him that everything was alright and have him a treat to show him I wasn't upset. He are the treat and 5 minutes later committed it up. Them he committed twice more within 45 minutes. Thick white foamy stuff.He was panting but is now sleeping but it sounds like he's got phlegm in his throat. Like when you have a cold. Lou is a cockerspaniel.
Spellcheck changed vommited to commited

Friend, diarrhea, and vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting or diarrhea, the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If at any point you notice pale gums, profound lethargy, continues to vomit while fasting, etc. do not wait and have him checked by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian