Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

I had my dog spayed about 3 months ago, she has been fine

Customer Question

Hi i had my dog spayed about 3 months ago, she has been fine and healed really well but today i have noticed that there is a red blisterey bump where the knot originally was. Now she was shaking this after noon and in a lot of pain when she moves in certain ways so i rushed her straight to the vet whom did the surgery. I was told that she will be fine, that it will eventually seep out on its own. But i am really concerened as she is very tolerable to pain and yelps suddenly when she moves the wrong way. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She has not been herself the last few days, shes been super playful which shes normally quite lazy. She is 2 (inhuman years) next month. Deer hound
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

The blister in the region of a surgical knot can be seen as a normal reaction from the dogs body as she is absorbing and breaking down the suture material under the skin. These blisters are usually sterile, but what can help if she will tolerate it is to salt water bathe the area (1 tablespoon of salt to 1 pint of water) twice daily, to help it resolve.

Is the pain response a new development? I would not expect an acute pain response such as you are describing associated with the blister, I suspect there may be a cause other than this for her discomfort.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling