Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 6lb chihuahua 3 years old. I put some Neosporin…

Customer Question
Hi my dog is...

Hi my dog is a 6lb chihuahua 3 years old. I put some Neosporin cream on his and he licked it off. Now his eyes are a little swolen but he's eating and acting normal. I gave him some benadryl and the swelling seems to be a little less but I'm not sure if I need to take him to the vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Monty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Monty?

No he's not on anything and has no major issues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+. I would like to assist you.

He may have had an allergic reaction to the Neosporin, very unusal, but can happen. As long as there is no breathing problem he should be ok tonight. You can give 1 mg of Plain Benedryl per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours. Yu can use some Plain saline in the eyes. I would have him into the Vet in the AM as a follow up. It he has any breathing issues, I would have him into the ER.

Please hit reply to discss this information.

Joan

How is your dog doing? I wanted to check in.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech