Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is diagnosed with epilepsy and usually suffers a

Customer Question

My dog is diagnosed with epilepsy and usually suffers a seizure when doesn't take his medication or eat properly. At around 4am he had a mild seizure and we have him milk afterwards to help get his blood sugar up. We noticed he'd vomited a bit of slime and partially digested dog food. But he slowly started to recover though he was out of it. Usually after a fit the vet recommends we give him his medication but we usually give him his medication with a piece of sausage of cheese but he refused both. He drank some milk and water but that is all. About 2 hours later he vomited more of the slime and partially digested dog food. Now he seems to have lost his appetite and though he's still awake he gets a few random spasms when he's lying down. Is this normal behaviour? Or something I should expect with an epileptic dog? How can I get him to take his medication, he takes it regularly in the morning and evenings.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's name is RJ and he's 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about RJ?
Customer: He's a rodhesian/ terrier mix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of how RJ is acting at this time?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Are you familiar with pilling a dog?