Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's front tooth becane loose while she was playing. It…

Customer Question
My dog's front tooth...

My dog's front tooth becane loose while she was playing. It looks decayed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Should I wait until it falls or get a dental surgery. Her vet was suggesting a surgery but I am not sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

It has been already one week that she has been having it loose. She seemed in pain the first day but fine after. But she is carful when playing or grabbing a toy. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Susie

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

I tend to agree with your Vet on having the tooth out. Bacteria from a decayed tooth can send bacteria throughout the body. It can also abscess below the gumline which can cause pain and swelling if not addressed.The longer a decayed tooth is left in the mouth the more chances of complications.

This link explains how a decaying tooth can affect the dog's body:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_oral_hygiene_and_your_dogs_health

I hope this helps with your decision you make for Susie.

Joan

Checking in to see what you decided on the tooth issue. Please let me know whether you are going to do the surgery.

Joan