Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog's front tooth becane loose while she was playing. It

Customer Question

My dog's front tooth becane loose while she was playing. It looks decayed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Should I wait until it falls or get a dental surgery. Her vet was suggesting a surgery but I am not sure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: It has been already one week that she has been having it loose. She seemed in pain the first day but fine after. But she is carful when playing or grabbing a toy. Thank you
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Susie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

I tend to agree with your Vet on having the tooth out. Bacteria from a decayed tooth can send bacteria throughout the body. It can also abscess below the gumline which can cause pain and swelling if not addressed.The longer a decayed tooth is left in the mouth the more chances of complications.

This link explains how a decaying tooth can affect the dog's body:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_oral_hygiene_and_your_dogs_health

I hope this helps with your decision you make for Susie.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Checking in to see what you decided on the tooth issue. Please let me know whether you are going to do the surgery.

Joan