Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I found my dog of 21 pounds when she got into a bottle of my…

Customer Question
I found my dog...

I found my dog of 21 pounds when she got into a bottle of my xanax .5mg per pill. I am uncertain as to how much she took but it was enough to cause her to stagger and stumble. I immediately administered 10 ml of 3% sodium hydroxide to induce vomiting and it did. She threw up a good 4 cups of previously eaten food and other liquids. I then fed her lots of chicken of which she gobbled down. Her gait seems to be a bit better and now she is sleeping. I was going to wait an hour or two to see if she is still staggering and if she is, I am going to take her to the vet. Any other suggetions?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well I will not dissuade you from having your dog checked over by a vet if you become further cocncerned, but really it sounds to me as if you have done just the right thing in inducing vomiting, based on what you have told me so far and my experience of Xanax ingestion in the dog I would have thought it was very likely that your dog will just sleep this off and then recover six or seven hours from now. So it it may be worth just keeping an eye on her for present.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you so much for your help. Lorraine

No problem Lorraine, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Xanax incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott