Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Male beagle being treated for a bladder infection, tonight

Customer Question

Male beagle being treated for a bladder infection, tonight he's acting like he's experiencing pain. Sits but doesn't want to lie down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the beagle can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: El vis age 9.. He's taking amoxo Clav 3758 mg ever 12 hours. 5 Days at present
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Elvis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?
Customer: he is neutered. don't know if that's important or not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Is he avoiding stairs or avoiding jumping on things?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He came upstairs with me. I haven't seen him try to jump on the couch. now that he's older he often uses doggie stair. He doesn't seem to want to lie down.. He's sitting at present

Back pain (slipped or bulging discs) is very common in older beagles. I would treat it as that until proven otherwise. How much does he weigh?

And do you have access to tramadol, gabapentin, or aspirin?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's been quite hot here today and he is panting. he weighs 45 lbs. I do have aspirin, baby type and regular

Okay, great. They often pant and pace when they have back pain and they don't want to lay down. They can sometimes get soft stool from the stress. You can give 325mg of aspirin every 8 hours for pain management and keep him calm and quiet... limit walking and stairs and restrict his activity strictly for at least a week. See your vet for better pain management if it continues. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

I am wrapping up for the day here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

I see that you have read my responses... can you please let me know if you have further questions?

How is your dog doing? Just checking in.