Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our 19 year old is near the end of her travels. we dont

Customer Question

our 19 year old ***** ***** is near the end of her travels. we dont believe she is in pain, but hasnt eaten in 5 days...this might seem like an unsypathetic question to ask online, but is there something we can do to expedite her passing this evening? we love her very much but it is after vet hours and we dont want her to suffer needlessly....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to make that happen at home... any medications that you could give at home would take days to bring on death, and it would be in a painful way. I could try to help you keep her more comfortable, though... what are her symptoms? Is she able to sleep? Is she whining or pacing? Vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no obvious signs of distress...she is simply lying in her bed...she lets us know when she needs to go out....she still is able to drink water on her own...she has a severe heart defect for years, and recently diagnosed with sever liver faiure.. we know we shoul have taken her in by now to be euthenized, but just dont have the courage or will...

Then I would just give her 25mg of Benadryl to help her sleep deeply without pain and then see your vet in the morning. God willing, she will pass during the night. It is obvious you are a very caring pet owner and love her deeply... she is lucky to have you! I hope she passes quietly and peacefully. If she is still with you in the morning, see your vet. Good luck, and god bless.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

Just checking in to see how things are going today... please give me an update. Thanks.