Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My shih tzu has been drinking a lot of water lately and her

my shih tzu has been drinking a lot of water lately and her nose is still dry. we take her out at least 3 times a day and during her walks she pees and poops 3 times. but, she still has a lot of accidents she barks in the middle of the night for more water, but then will have accdidents we are feeding her Pro plan weight managaement food twice a day. thinking making home made food may help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola and 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: she has had UTI's in the past

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Any change in Lola's appetite?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's been drinking excessively for almost a year now. Recently is when she has been having a lot of accidents. She's eating about the same amount

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has she had any blood work since she has been drinking excessively? Because of her age I would recommend labwork to rule out some of the most common causes of increasing drinking which could include diabetes, kidney disease, or Cushing's diease which is an overactive adrenal gland? Does she seem to have any change witih her weight at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She got blood work a year ago and is going again this thurseday. She did gain a lot of weight this past year. As of a few weeks ago she did loose wight. where her hips are are very skinny but still has a low hangin stomach

Okay the labwork will definitely help determine if she has diabetes, kidney disease, or Cushing's disease which may be causing her symptoms. If it is diabetes then she may need to be started on a insulin regimen requiring injection twice daily. Cushing's disease may require additional testing to diagnose after the initial testing has be done

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should we switch her food? do you think there may be too much salt in her food

I would wait to get the labwork results before you switch her food. Because if she has diabetes she will need to be on a special diet to help regulate her blood sugar. If she has kidney disease then she will need to be put on a low protein diet. So her diagnosis will determine what the best diet she will need.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank u for your help

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions .

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne