Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

The insides of her lower eyelids are red, the insides of her

the insides of her lower eyelids are red
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: the insides of her lower eyelids are red.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she's not in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Josephine. almost 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josephine?
Customer: no. she's not itching or rubbing...

Hi this is Dr. Sara. What type of dog is Josephine and is she having more tearing or "gunk" in the corner of her eyes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Ahh Frenchie :) The most likely cause is allergic conjunctivitis but I would also consider dry eye at her age. Does she have seasonal allergies or other allergies?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no allergies but she is older. I'm away from home with her. We won't be home until the beginning of October. Should I take her to a vet where we are?

Where are you? I only ask because about 3/4 of my day appointments right now are itchy dogs, itchy ears, conjuctivitis and I am in the Northeast. It's really bad allergy season here right now. If she seems comfortable, no squinting and no abnormal amount of discharge then it can most likely wait. If she starts to squint, rub, or there is more discharge, I would have her seen sooner.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm in NYC. This definitely started here. We live in Michigan. I have some neo/poly/dex 0.1for my own eye issues. I've dabbed it on hers and it seems to help a bit.

It could be an allergy to something here. The neopolydex is something we use for allergic conjunctivitis. An occasional "dab" is probably fine, but shouldn't use regularly. There probably aren't any corneal ulcers ( I imagine she would seem painful) but the dex part of the ointment can really complicate an ulcer if there is a small one there, so I would probably hold off on that. I think you can wait until you get home unless it seems like things worsen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you in NYC?

No, Massachusetts. Coming this way???

Funny, my brother-in-law and family live in Ann Arbor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is funny. We live 25 minutes from there. Not coming your way but I might pop her into a vet here just to be sure

Have a good night and a fun time in NYC. Let me know if you have any other questions. This conversation will stay open for a few days.

Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you doc

That would give you peace of mind. I'm sure all will be fine, maybe they will screen her for dry eye.

You are welcome!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
100% right. She's my baby now that my babies are grown.