Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cat has suddenly gone blind. He had squamous cell

Customer Question
carcinoma removed with clear margins...
My cat has suddenly gone blind. He had squamous cell carcinoma removed with clear margins in March. But the one lymph node removed had traces of microscopic cancer cells. After healing he started chemo of carboplatin. He has had 5 sessions out of 6. He developed an ulcer in the eye on the side of surgery where his cheek, lower jaw and eye socket was removed. His eye sits in a specially created hammock. I took him to my own vet last Monday and he was given Exocin and remend for the ulcer. By Thursday his vision was very compromised. I took him back to the vet on Friday and they confirmed he could hardly see. His blood pressure was fine. Called the oncology hospital and they agreed to see him on Saturday. The surgeon said it is very rare for squamous cell carcinoma to spread to the brain. We were sent to an eye specialist immediately. He performed various tests and said his optic nerves were very inflamed. But that there is a very big possibility that there was a tumour behind the eye as when he pushed it in it didn't bounce back (this is the eye sitting on a hammock/cradle) He said it was a grave diagnosis. He will be having an MRI on Friday and also fluid taken from the spine. I am beside myself at the moment.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

This is DRB and I am very very sorry to hear this information........I will tell you that the prognosis for this is extremely grave and that what you do from now on throughout the rest of this process....will be very important. I can tell you have cared for your special kitty and done everything possible to help him.

I have to tell you that now is the time to consider letting him have peace.......and the only way to get that is with proper humane euthanasia. There is a time to fight and you have fought the good fight with your kitty.....but now is the time to let go and give him peace.

I have a poem I want to share with you that is both sad and at the same time beautiful.....I will attach it in a link.....please let me know if I can support you in any way or answer any questions for you.....My heart goes out to you and your kitty.......Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Please let me know if you need additional support or help.....I am here for that...DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian