Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 1 year old chihuahua has had diarrhea since Saturday. The

Customer Question

My 1 year old chihuahua has had diarrhea since Saturday. The vet tested stool and didn't find anything, but gave him meds. I administered the probiotic powder from the vet and my dog immediately started shaking and acting funny. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Jackson
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jackson?
Customer: He was diagnosed with HGE in July
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Jackson is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It could be he is allergic in some way to the probiotic powder or it is not agreeing with him in some way, so you may want to stop giving this as a precaution.

2. An alternative would be live yogurt which basically works the same way as probiotics. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by or involve an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, one teaspoon twice a day added to his food or given orally would be fine for a dog of Jackson's breed.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jackson is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott