Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

For the last 6 years dog nose has been raw and a scab

For the last 6...

For the last 6 years dog nose has been raw and a scab develops then sluffs off every 2 to 3 weeks. have tried several lotions, salves, oils, etc. I apply medicine to dogs nose and hold him for several minutes but as soon as I let him go, he licks off the medicine, oil, salve, etc. he is a happy dog and his nose works very well, but I know it is always sore and as I said, raw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Darth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darth?

No, just the nose problem. dog is 11 years old but nose problem developed several years ago

9/13/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Darth's nose to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. A skin disorder of such duration shouldn't be neoplastic (cancerous) but autoimmune skin disorders such as discoid lupus erythematosus or the pemphigus complex are important considerations.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Excellent pics most representive of discoid lupus erythematosus. Biopsy is necessary for conformation. Conservative treatment of DLE involves the use of essential fatty acids, vitamin E, tetracycline or doxycyline + niacinamide; or cyclosporine. More reliable therapy involves a systemic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone, methylprednisolone, or dexamethasone; or chemotherapeutic drugs such as azathioprine, chlorambucil, or dapsone. As you've see topical therapy isn't practical. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the day but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?