Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a black lab my husband took him out in the woods for…

Customer Question
I have a black...

I have a black lab my husband took him out in the woods for a walk the dog was ahead of him and he called him back the dog turned to come back and he must have twisted his leg because he went down and started crying my husband go to him felt his leg and hip didn't feel any thing broken after he rub him a bit he started walking ok but everynow and then when he turns or gets up he holds his leg up and cries a bit so I rub his leg and hip he can move then What could be causeing this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Back. How old is Back?

2 years last february

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Back?

No he has been good just a yeast infection in his ears he was to the regular vet a week or so ago. He's only barked once so far.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When it comes to the rear leg and limping /pain/ intermitantly holding it up , you may be looking at a torn cruciate ligament or a stretched ligament. Your Vet may be able to tell by putting the leg through a range of motion.

Other possible problems that would cause what you are seeing is a disc issue in the lower spine.

It is suggested that you have the dog looked at. If it is a ligament, then surgery would be needed. IF you wait then arthritis would start to build up around the knee making it harder to fix the area.

Here is more on a cruciate ligament tear for further information.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_dg_cranial_cruciate_ligament

and here is more on disc disease of the spine

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd---thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs

another possibility is hip dysplasia which is also common in this breed http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/hip-dysplasia-in-dogs

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant