Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My golden 89 lbs has pain from hip dysplasia and arthritis.

Customer Question

My golden 89 lbs has pain from hip dysplasia and arthritis. He pants constantly. Is 300 mg a good idea for these symptoms?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hugo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hugo?
Customer: He had Valley Fever when we rescued hin 7 years ago but has been free from that for quite a few years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- 300mg of what medication?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- Can you describe his symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
300 mg of gabapentin.
He is on medication for his thryroid sodium levothyroxine 0.7 twice daily tramadol for pain 50mg 2 twice daily.
His panting is the most worrying, it never stops unless he is sleeping. Our vet said his heart is sound and his other organs.
He is listless on his walk, can't wait to go for the walk and then can't wait to come back!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, Gabapentin is sometimes used to treat chronic pain in dogs. However, in this case, if he is on Tramadol prior to starting him on Gabapentin I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about starting him on an anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl (carprofen). Gabapentin is best for chronic pain management, not acute pain. I would phone your vet in the morning and request starting him on Rimadyl.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter