Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Back leg seems limp, walks a bit then drags leg. Wags tail…

Customer Question
Back leg seems limp...

Back leg seems limp, walks a bit then drags leg. Wags tail and no pain anywhere she doesnt yelp or whimper we have tried to adjust and massage her legs. Only one leg is eing affected.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A dachound

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Nothing. We were in the middle of a hurricane and she was boxed for a while alot of the time due to other animals in the house. I thought maybe my male jumped on her n hurt her some how. But she seems good for a bit then it goes limp and she drags it. But like i said no pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dachshund's name and age?

Dixie and shes around 8-9 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dixie?

She has had siezures from a dog attack but they are random occurance. And that happened 5 years ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

If you press along her knee area, how does she act?

How does she act if you press along her spine?

We have pressed on knee and spine no yelps or whimpering. Doesnt seem to be any pain.

I know that she spent time in a kennel during Irma....Does she normally spend time in the kennel?

Was the crate big enough for her to stand up and turn around?

Also have pressed between paws and no pain

Did she wrestle with the other dog at all?

they are crayed when we are not there and the male did jump once and we took her out and put her in the tub. She did yelp when he landed on her but he has done that before and shes fine. But like i said shes fine for a while then it goes limp.

THanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

From your description of the way she acts and the fact that there is a history of being jumped on...I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of spinal issue.

As I'm sure you know...Doxies are infamous for having problems with their backs, and it doesn't actually take much for them to get injured. I suspect the other dog jumped on her, and caused some soft tissue injury (like a bruise) which is fine until she gets moving around and then the area gets a little inflammed, which compresses the spine near the injury, causing the nerves to be unable to transmit messages to that leg..so it goes limp.

Since she doesn't seem painful at the moment, I think you could just keep an eye on it...try to keep her quiet and keep her from jumping onto or off of things...to give that area a bit of time to heal.

If it gets worse, or if she becomes painful, then you should have your vet take a peek, just to be on the safe side...but if this is just a soft tissue injury from being jumped on, it should resolve with just some rest.

I hope this helps.