Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old has had a sore belly and lower back the past…

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old ***** ***** has had a sore belly and lower back the past couple of days. 3 days ago she was carrying around a decomposed turtle dove and since then she has been in pain. She is eating and drinking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Gidget

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gidget?

No she has always been healthy and is on no medications

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
When I pick her up, or rub her back or belly she will yelp.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 8 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Do you know if she ate any of the dove?

Is she defecating normally that you've noticed?

Any vomiting?

she has been defecating normally and no vomit that I've seen.

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Her belly seems tense. Her temp is 100.5. She defecated again, the stool is fully formed, normal color, seems a little hard and dry. This evening she yelps when I try to look at her gums and yelp when I touch her back about 2/3 of the way down her back.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So my concern is that if she ate the dove, there could be a blockage forming in her digestive tract. This happens when a dog eats something too big or bulky that gets caught up in the loops of the intestine and causes the whole system to grind to a halt. If left untreated, this is often fatal.

If this were me...I'd keep an eye on her tonight, and then tomorrow morning give your vet a call and have them take an x-ray of her belly and see if there's bones, etc there.

If there are...they may want to keep her for a few hours and do a barium study..where they have her swallow a special liquid to monitor the progression of the blockage. If it seems to be moving, they may just give her IV fluids to help hydrate the stool, but if it's not, they may need to go in and surgically remove the blockage.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech