Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 13 year old has had a sore belly and lower back the past

Customer Question

My 13 year old ***** ***** has had a sore belly and lower back the past couple of days. 3 days ago she was carrying around a decomposed turtle dove and since then she has been in pain. She is eating and drinking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gidget
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gidget?
Customer: No she has always been healthy and is on no medications
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I pick her up, or rub her back or belly she will yelp.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Do you know if she ate any of the dove?

Is she defecating normally that you've noticed?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she has been defecating normally and no vomit that I've seen.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her belly seems tense. Her temp is 100.5. She defecated again, the stool is fully formed, normal color, seems a little hard and dry. This evening she yelps when I try to look at her gums and yelp when I touch her back about 2/3 of the way down her back.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So my concern is that if she ate the dove, there could be a blockage forming in her digestive tract. This happens when a dog eats something too big or bulky that gets caught up in the loops of the intestine and causes the whole system to grind to a halt. If left untreated, this is often fatal.

If this were me...I'd keep an eye on her tonight, and then tomorrow morning give your vet a call and have them take an x-ray of her belly and see if there's bones, etc there.

If there are...they may want to keep her for a few hours and do a barium study..where they have her swallow a special liquid to monitor the progression of the blockage. If it seems to be moving, they may just give her IV fluids to help hydrate the stool, but if it's not, they may need to go in and surgically remove the blockage.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN