Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog (9-10 lb maltipoo) just ingested a 5 mg dose of

Customer Question
Our dog (9-10 lb...

Our dog (9-10 lb maltipoo) just ingested a 5 mg dose of Montelukast Sodium. I have read online blogs and it doesn't seem to have much research but doesn't seem to be a problem from some Veterinarians.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dash and is 1.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dash?

He was taking Hycodan (5mg) and Clavamox (62.5mg) for Kennel Cough.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Great. Thank you.

Yes, that's true. In humans, the drug is usually well tolerated with minima adverse effects reported. Rats and mice survived oral doses of approximately 335X of the usual human adult dose. I don't see any studies in dogs nor cats but historically it hasn't been problematic in cats when dosed at up to 0.5 mg per pound of body weight - the dose Dash ingested. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian