Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Lhasa Apso was stung by a wasp right underneath her eye.

My Lhasa Apso was stung by a wasp right underneath her eye. I put a cone on her so that she won't scratch, but she rubs her head against the cone. The wound doesn't completely heal because one way or another she gets her ouwy scratched or rubbed. I'm at my witz end and I'm thinking should I put some hydrocortizone cream on her ouwy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your Lhasa Apsu bleeding a lot?
Customer: If she scratches enough, yes she does bleed a little
JA: What is the Lhasa Apsu's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** age eleven
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Powder?
Customer: No

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Cortisone ointment may help. Just don't get any in the eye. I will usually use some Benadryl as well. It is typically safe for dogs at 12.5 mg per 10-15 lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. It may not be safe with certain heart, lung or eye problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is Benadryl? Is that a topical ointment or something she needs to swallow?

Benadryl is an oral antihistamine. It comes in capsules, tablets and liquid. The generic name would be diphenhydramine. You can find it in some topical ointments as well. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How am I supposed to give it to her in what form?

I was talking more along the line of something oral. It can be the capsule, tablet or liquid. Whatever you have on hand or can get is fine. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** definitely do that. You've been extremely helpful!

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have other concerns.

Hi Marina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John