Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog coughs as soon as he wakes up from a nap or when he

Hello, My dog coughs as...
Hello, My dog coughs as soon as he wakes up from a nap or when he habitually shakes. He is an old guy but extremely jolly and nice.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 17 1/2 years old! He was well cured and besides his age, he is still very jolly and mobile (for a 17 1/3 years dog). He is of a petite nature, 6.6KG
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scottie?
Customer: He has been diagnosed with sandfly since he was 3, well cured and he just takes Alopurinol 100mg. Recently he is also taking 1 pill a day for his heart, his lungs are clean of water but there is a minor heart murmur. The rest is fine,
9/13/2017
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

The coughing may be associated with the heart murmur, because an enlarged heart can press on the bronchi in the lungs. It is also possible that this is just an old dog cough... that is often the case when it happens when he wakes up. But considering that he has a heart murmur, I would have your vet take an xray to verify that it is nothing serious. As long as the dog continues to eat well and stay as active as usual, I would probably not worry too much about it at his age, though. Probably just an old dog cough. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

I see that you have read my response... did it make sense to you? Do you have any questions?

Hi, If it's related to old age, is there any treatment/medicine that is recommended. My dog albeit his age looks healthy (from results as well), he has appetite and no particular signs. But when he starts coughing especially during the night, I can see that he feels bad. The vet whom I visited is like telling me that I have to settle down with this problem and I'm not happy with this position.
Sorry for the delay… I wanted to speak with an internal medicine specialist to get some more information for you. In most cases, he said there are chronic changes to the interstitial part of the lungs that will cause this coughing. If it is bothersome, you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Robitussin DM cough syrup ( if they don't have this where you live, ask your veterinarian for an equivalent) every 6 to 8 hours as needed to suppress cough. The internal medicine specialist said the other possibility is gastric reflux causing this coughing, and for that you would want to give an acid reducer or such as omeprazole 20 mg once a day. Again, if you do not have that where you live, ask your veterinarian for the equivalent. The internal medicine specialist said that these are the only interventions he would recommend. I hope this helps! And again, I am sorry for the delay, I had to wait for the specialist to return my phone call so that I could get the information for you.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Hi, my dog is getting better and better. Many thanks for now.

You are most welcome, and I am so glad to hear that!

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian