Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 5 lb Yorkie completely tore out a toe nail from his left

My 5 lb Yorkie completely tore out a toe nail from his left foot. We don't even know how he done it. We think he might have done it by catching it in the bed covers. I know it is hurting him because he will not put any weight on it. The bleeding has stopped. How do I treat this injure? Thank You!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?
Customer: He is 9 yrs old but in good condition other than this injury.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

I have several suggestions which may be of help. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response. Deb

It probably won't surprise you to learn that this sort of thing happens all the time. While the large dogs don't seem too affected by such an injury, the smaller ones often do. But, regardless of the size of the dog, in most cases, these injuries will heal just fine and most patients rarely even limp or pay much attention to the area after a day or so. The nail will regrow although it may take several weeks to do so.

1. You can gently clean the toe twice a day with over the counter dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).
I'd avoid peroxide which can retard healing.
2. You could even soak the toe/foot in a warm Epsom Salt bath for 10-15 minutes 1-2 times a day.
3. If he's not too uncomfortable for you to touch the toe, you can apply a small amount of over the counter antibiotic ointment on the raw area.
4. An even better product for this problem would be Vetericyn Spray which can improve healing time. It's often available at most local pet or grain stores or online.
Since it's a spray,it will be easy to apply; it's also non-toxic so won't be harmful if ingested.
5. It's going to be important to prevent him from excessively licking the area if she’s so inclined (the majority of dogs will only occasionally focus their attention there in case you were wondering) since he can make it worse. Either he'll need to wear a cone although I know he won't thank me for suggesting it or you can put a sock on his foot or a light bandage.
I don't usually advise the latter since it's often difficult to get them to remain in place without making them too tight. Then circulation is compromised and the foot swells up.
6. As long as he's not vomiting nor taking any steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Deb. Your answer was excellent! I am glad I asked this question, as I was going to clean it with peroxide. Now I will try to buy the spray you mentioned, as Maxi is very touchy about his feet. Again thanks so much!PS: Maxi has been my boy for a long time and I try to take very good care of him. Have great day!

You're more than welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back.

Best of luck with him:) Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb