Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Symptoms: it seemed like she was losing feeling in her right

Customer Question

Symptoms: it seemed like she was losing feeling in her right paw, in a matter of 6 hours she can't stand up. She also is breathing hard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mara, she is 12 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mara?
Customer: Not really, she was ok Sunday morning but by evening couldn't stand
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mara. Her disorder will be found either in her cervical (neck) spinal cord such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to her spinal cord), or neoplasia (meningioma is most common) in her spinal cord; or, in her brain (one of the meningoencephalitides, e.g.). Her dyspnea (breathing hard) concerns me that she's quite painful or the area in her brain stem that governs breathing is involved in the disease process. Mara's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Mara at your earliest convenience. Time is of the essence in these patients. The goal is to reduce swelling in the central nervous system as quickly as possible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is at the vet now. What is the usual treatment and is there hope for a recovery?

That's good to hear. Treatment would be predicated upon the cause and that might involve advanced diagnostics in the form of cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and/or MRI. These diagnostics are usually performed by a specialist veterinary neurologist (www.acvim.org). Presumptive therapy would involve a combination of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam or a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?