Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog appears to have pink eye. He's about 18 months old,

Hi - my dog...

Hi - my dog appears to have pink eye. He's about 18 months old, there's some yellow discharge and the white of his eye is very pink/red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Herbert?

He just got shots - 3 year rabies and something else last Thursday. My vet can't see him until tomorrow.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is one or both eyes affected?

Is he squinting or holding his eye shut at all?

Is he pawing at the eye?

One eye only, not squinting, yes pawing at the eye. He is otherwise completely normal.

Thanks for the information. My first concern is that they has a scratch or abrasion on the cornea. An infection, foreign debris or other trauma to the eye are possible; but your vet needs to stain the eye to look for a corneal ulcer first. In the meantime, the safest thing you can do is get a sterile saline eye wash from the store and flush the affected eye out very well. After that, you can apply an artificial tears or eye lubricant drop to it. If it is just foreign debris or an allergy, that may actually help. If there is an infection or an ulcer, your vet will most likely need to get him on an antibiotic ointment for the eye. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John