Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my dog to the vet yesterday for coughing. He

diagnosed him Kennel Cough even...
I took my dog to the vet yesterday for coughing. He diagnosed him Kennel Cough even though the dog had a Bordatella shot in April. He prescribed antibiotics and robitussin. The robitussin is doing nothing for the cough, and it seemed worse overnight, with spots of blood in the sputum. The dog does not have labored breathing and until I administered the robitussin, he had normal energy and activity level. Is there anything else to give him for the cough?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dog's name is***** just turned eight years old. He is mutt, Border Collie/Austrailian Shepherd/Unknown.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Derek?
Customer: He's current on his monthly heartworm medication and his flea and tick preventative. He had been to a dog park a week ago, and is typically an energetic and athletic dog.
9/12/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The presence of hemoptysis (blood coughed up) isn't consistent with kennel cough. Instead, I need to be concerned about uncontrolled bleeding due to an anticoagulant rodenticide ingestion, pneumonias (bacterial, fungal, parasitic), neoplasia, heartworm disease, congestive heart failure, and lung torsion (rare).

While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in an 8 year. I wouldn't hesitate to have Derek's vet carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Derek's chest at your earliest convenience. I find that sending these older coughing dogs home with an antibiotic instead of promptly X-raying them is a mistake too often made by veterinarians.

To answer you directly, there's nothing of value over the counter as an antitussive for dogs. Robitussin DM is no longer recommended for dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity in the higher dose range. You would be more likely to see a good response to a teaspoon-tablespoon of honey every few hours.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you. I will schedule another appointment with our veterinarian immediately. He listened to Derek's chest yesterday, but he did not X-ray him.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian