Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 week old puppy ate 1/2 of a 75mg Novox. She weighs…

Customer Question
My 11 week old...

My 11 week old puppy ate 1/2 of a 75mg Novox. She weighs about 13lbs. She is a Husky

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Malyshka.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Malyshka?

She finished a course of Flagyl on Saturday for diarrhea r/t worms. Finished the worming med last weekend (Labor Day)

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 9 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 9 months ago

The ususal dose of novox is 2mg/lb so a full dose for a dog of her size would be 26mg. If she has eaten half a 75mg tablet she will have received a dose of ~37.5mg, so approximately 1.5 times the recommended dose. I would not expect to see severe toxic signs at this level, however you may see signs of mild gastro-enteritis (vomiting and diarrhea). These signs should be self limiting and should pass within 48 hours. If you see these signs, then feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese, can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid approximately 1 hour before meals can help things settle down too.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 13lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~10mg 2-3 times daily.
You should be seeing an improvement over the next few days. At that point, you can start to re-introduce her normal food.

If at any stage you see blood in her vomit, or blackened stools, this can be an indicator of a gastric bleed and she should be seen by your vet ASAP.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 9 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling