Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can you give a dog some motrin or tylenol when they seem to…

Customer Question
Can you give a...

Can you give a dog some motrin or tylenol when they seem to have a sore leg and is whimpering occasionally?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maxx age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Yes or No 160lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No he's healthy a Rottweiler I feel like he might have pulled something running up and down fence line with dogs next door. He walks but favors it a little started whining occasionally in the middle of the night.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I also have some meloxicam pills i was given for a sore foot a few months ago .
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 9 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 9 months ago

Motrin and Tylenol are both extremely toxic to dogs and I would not recommend these drugs in veterinary patients under ANY circumstances. The can cause renal failure and significant gastric ulceration. Meloxicam, however is generally very safe and widely used. What dose of the meloxicam do you have available?