Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mother just passed away. I now have her dog. He is a

Customer Question
My mother just passed...

My mother just passed away. I now have her dog. He is a cavapoo. She feed him only table food due to dementia. Now he won't eat dog food. He was diagnosed with pancreatic issues due to this. What do I do. I put broth on his food. I am lost

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

He is Rufus. About 10 years old. He itches all the time and scratches all the time I have had him for a week. Has no fleas.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Rufus. What do I go to get him to eat.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years I would like to assit you with this dietary issue.

WE need to try and get Rufus back on dog food but it needs to be a gradual transition so he does not get diarrhea. I suggest tryinh to start a bland diet of skinless chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice.to this mixture you can try some Merricks Canned dog food. The Merricks food will staify the pickiest eater. It is made with Human quality foods balanced for dogs. They have a dry food as well as a wet food. I would ty the canned first so he aquires the taste. You can start with the bland diet and gradually add in the Merricks canned food. If he accepts it well then start weaning off the bland diet onto the Merricks canned and then you can even wean onto their Dry food. I have used the Merricks brand on ailing dogs as well as picky dogs with a Great success rate. This is the Brand: https://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Please let me know if you have questions about this information.

Joan

How is the dog doing since we last chatted? Was the information helpful?

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech