Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Needs her nails trimmed, Lily, 4 years, Shih tzu Poodle mix,

Customer Question
Needs her nails trimmed ...

Needs her nails trimmed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lily, 4 years, Shih tzu Poodle mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?

She is in excellent health, gets daily excercise,current on all vaccines, and a very emotionally well adjusted dog . She just went have anyone touch her feet and nails, Not the groomer, not the vet it any assistants, and obviously nor me. So explains why I am inquiring about a safe dosage of Colozapam. I have administered to get before heading the dosage recommendation of our prior vet. I have recently moved to a different state this week and have not established a relationship with a local vet here and my prior vet will no longer "treat" Lily because we've moved. His dosage recommendation was verbal over the phone when Lily was still in active care, and since our dosage discussion was verbal via phone his recommendation was not documented/noted in her medical file and I cannot remember what the doing was. Would you be able to to me with such a matter?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dosing recommendations for clonazepam vary considerably. Most range from 0.05 - 0.5 mg per pound of body weight up to 2-3 times daily but some recommend up to every 6 hour dosing or dosages up to 1 mg per pound orally every 12 hours. Generally dosages are started near the low end and increased if necessary. There's very limited information on the adverse effect profile of this drug in dogs. Sedation (or excitement) and ataxia ("drunken sailor") may occur. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hello Dr. Salmon, I'm Kelly. Pleasure to meet you and thank you for your time and information. On advance, please pardon any typos as I know there could be many ahead.....:)Lily requires medicinal assistance to completely calm her emotional stress for grooming procedures, specifically nail clipping and grooming the hair that grows too long in the entire foot area. The hair growth becomes long enough that it mats and becomes tightly compacted between the toes forcing the toes an unnatural distance apart from another, and worse the matted hair is also tightly compacted between each foot pad, thus causing her to slide on any slick surface such as tile or hardwoods. I've noticed that her natural rhythmic gait has changed as she is obviously having to accommodate the discomfort and or pain from her feet. Behaviorally, she now avoids certain surfaces and spends quite a bit of time, yet not excessive, licking her toes and pad and recently has begun using her teeth to pull at the compacted hair and bite her nails as if to shorten them herself. I view this issue from a short term to long term health perspective, beyond anything cosmetic.
Having her feet maintained has been a stresser for Lily from the first attempt at grooming her feet starting around 10 weeks of age.My former vet resorted to fully sedating Lily twice before because she becomes so emotional, never aggressive, just extremely taxed. Thereafter, he would administer Colozapam in office and treat her feet once she was relaxed to the level that she was groggy enough she'd be about to catch a light nap during it all.For budgetary reasons, he provided me Colozapam with the verbal dosaging instructions so I could do Lily's feet at home as needed.Because his dosaging instructions were not in his written notes his staff had nothing to refer to when I called the office to locate the information in Lily's file.I still have some Colonazpam tablets remaining that I recieved within the year, less than a year old. I would like to safely administer but I cannot remember what dosage to give her to sufficiently relax her without giving her too much. I just incurred the huge expense of an a cross country residential move and I project it will be a while before I can afford a local vet visit in my new city.I apologize for such a lengthy message realizing my issue with Lily is so common and I suspect you have found my dilemma so mundane you have probably fallen asleep on me....lolThank you,
Kelly :)
PS
Sorry that my phones autocorrect typed your name incorrectly. I recognize your last name is***** autocorrect caused the misspelling of clonazepam. Isn't technology just grand?!...lol

Kelly, did you see the dosage recommendations I posted in my initial post to you? It's timestamped 11 Sept 2017, 8:08 PM (my time). Please let me know. If you couldn't see them, I'll respost for you.

Good Morning. Yes, I did receive and read it several times to avoid missing something or misunderstanding something. I interrupt the dosaging guidelines you provided are for medical condions that would benefit from clonazepam when used on a consistent schedule for daily relief of generalized anxiety or separation anxiety when the everyone has left the home for work or scholl, etc. Another interruptation of the dosaging detail is its use on an as needed basis: traveling in the car, fireworks, etc.Did I overlook the mg to pound dosaging recommendation for aniexty prevention during a specific experience the dog will become highly stressed, such as nail clipping and grooming, as I explained about Lily?I need only for her to be sufficiently relaxed to the degree she feels emotionally comfortable, and will be still (non-resistant) for a period of time that will allow me to thoroughly and safely groom her feet?Thank you for your follow-up,

Kelly, the dosing recommendations are as an anxiolytic - either prior to a triggering event such as grooming or for long-term use. Dosage recommendations are only slightly higher when used as an adjunctive medication in the treatment of seizures or sleep disorders. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What dosage of this specific anxiolytic do you recommend my give Lily prior to her trigger?Again, in optimal health, no known allergies, never experienced any problems in the past with clonazepam, 4 years of age, Poodle - Shih tzu mix, approximately 15 pounds.

Generally, dosages are started near the low end and increased if necessary. I would dose Lily at 0.05 mg per pound of body weight (0.75 mg for her) 30-60 minutes prior to grooming. You might "test" this dose a few days prior to the event to see how it affects Lily.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?