Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 16lb bijon poodle ate a milk chocolate / caramel bar.

Customer Question

my 16lb bijon poodle ate a milk chocolate / caramel bar. Approx 4.6 ozs. One calculator says its too much and I should seek emergency vet help, the other calculator says his reaction should be mild. Not sure what to do. It was approx. 1 1/2 hours ago, he seems to be fine. He drank a bunch of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: Charlie, age 5, in good health and he's eaten chocolate before but not this much!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I do not
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Text or email is fine
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, milk chocolate has about 58mg/oz of theobromine. When we calculate the amount for your dog based on weight and the amount he ate it comes out to a toxic dose of 37mg/kg. Doses between 20-40mg/kg we see gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Doses above 40mg/kg we start seeing more severe signs like cardiac arrhythmias, hyperactivity, etc. We need to remember that some dogs are more sensitive than others. In this case, if this was my dog I would try at the very least to get him to vomit as he is very close to the dose where we tend to see the more severe signs. So, if you do not have hydrogen peroxide I would try to get him to ER vet immediately so they can make him vomit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm half hour - 45mins away from emergency vet clinic. How can I get him to vomit without hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Give him 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

Note: Need to try to get him to vomit within 1-2 hours of ingestion. If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose of peroxide do not give any more peroxide. Observe him, if you notice symptoms of hyperactivity, tremors, excessive panting, etc. he should be seen by ER vet. If no symptoms after 24 hours unlikely for symptoms to develop.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter