Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is constipated, snowflake 8yo maltese, its been 2 days…

Customer Question
She is constipated Veterinarian's...

She is constipated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Snowflake 8yo maltese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Its been 2 days

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she trying to defecate?

2- Is she eating and drinking?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

she is trying to defecate. she has eating but depending how much she will vomit it up. she has been drinking and urinating. she weights maybe 12 lbs. and no pre existing conditions

The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 2-3 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.

3- As a stool softener, you can give a 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian