Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is a 5yr spayed Shepard Doberman cross that has been

Customer Question

My dog is a 5yr spayed Shepard Doberman cross that has been diagnosed with some form of osteo arthritis. My vet prescribed Rimadyl at 75mg at three to four per day as needed. After about three weeks, I dropped the doses because I was starting to notice some improvement and I didnt want to stay on the NSAID too long- if I didnt have to. I read about Adequan and talked to friends that have K-9 Search dogs and responded with great results. I understand that there is a "loading" phase of this drug and I have only given three shots in the last week. The last one was this morning. My vet was comfortable in training me on the administration of the intramuscular injections for the long run administration. We had a blood test taken to determine the fitness of her kidneys and liver with "great" results. I have two questions; I have read that the loading phase is a shot every other day or twice a week for about three weeks. Then every ten days and then eventually getting to about once a month or maybe every two months. I have read that some of the side effects could be upset stomach, diarrhea, depression, pain at the injection site. I have continued the rimadyl at one and a half tablets per day. I was also giving Cosequin DS at approximately 3 daily. Tonight, my dog does not want to eat, barely greeted me when came home, does not want to play. I massaged her back and she felt better. I have placed ice packs on her back and injection site
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jackie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jackie?
Customer: No I dont think so. Typically this dog is almost hyperactive and is very food oriented. For some reason I fell like she is haveing a reaction because of all of the other things in her like the cosequin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The dosing recommendation for Adequate is 1mL/50pounds given by IM injection twice weekly for up to 4 weeks. A recheck evaluation should be done then to determine if your vet recommends continuation but the company itself only recommends giving this for a grand total of 8 shots.

Can you clarify what schedule you've been using for her?

When did these shots first start and how often have they been given since?