Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 60 lb lab ate a celebrex. He is 5 months old, Houston 200…

Customer Question
My 60 lb lab...

My 60 lb lab ate a celebrex. He is 5 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Houston 200 mg dose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Houston?

He is being treated with antiobitics for skin infection. Took one this am but not this afternoon. He is a rescue pup.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ingested a Celebrex.

1. How long ago did this occur?
  2. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3 % hydrogen peroxide?
  3. How is he behaving now?
1/2 hour ago. We do not have any hydrogen peroxide in the house anywhere. Seems fine but a little more sleepy than I would expect.
do I need to induce vomiting? I would need to go to the store to get hydrogen perioxide,
are you there?

Thanks, ***** ***** a few moments to type a more response, but in short for now yes, if you can send someone to get peroxide to induce vomiting I highly recommend it.

This is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory used in people, but not in dogs because it has variable rates of absorption in dogs and thus figuring out dosing timing is difficult, and because of the toxic effects it has on their gastrointestinal system, causing irritation and bleeding ulcers, as well as possible increased bleeding times, kidney and liver disease.
Experimental doses in dogs have been from 3 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight up to 15mg per kilogram of body weight, but premarket testing found there were dogs that reacted at any dose. No dose was truly safe, but higher than 15mgs per kilogram led to certain dangerous side effects.

At 60 pounds he is 27.27kgs (60 pounds/ 2.2 pounds per kilogram = 27.27kgs), and if he ingested 200mgs then he ate 7.33mgs per kilogram of body weight (200mgs/ 27.27kgs = 7.33mgs/kg). He ate what would considered a possible mid range dose.
At this point given it has only been a short time I highly recommend inducing vomiting.

Induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 3 tablespoons directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream dry dog food or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

If you do not have peroxide or he doesn't vomit promptly it would be best to have him seen by veterinarian to try to induce vomiting and get him treated supportively with gastroprotectant drugs like sucralfate and famotidine, intravenous fluids. If he doesn't vomit I would have him checked for evidence of kidney or liver damage in a day or two.

If you do have peroxide and he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

Once he clears his stomach to try and settle his stomach tonight you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. I would use one of these for the next 10 -14 days or so to try and help his stomach heal.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat and 2/3 boiled, white rice for the next few days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Not sure what this is. Is there a common name for this at the drug store, such as Pepto bismo or something similar that I can look for?) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR

Both Pepcid (generic name is famotodine) and Prilosec (generic name is omeprazole) are over the counter acid reducing medications. They or their generic equivalents can be bought without a prescription at drug and grocery stores.

They work by blocking/minimizing stomach acid production so that the stomach is protected, important when dogs eat potent irritant drugs, like Celebrex, that can cause stomach ulcers.

thank you. Dog seems lively and is now tryng to play with is doggie brother, but we have not yet made him vomit. Is it really needed? He is a rescue and has gone through a lot of scary stuff before getting here.

Sorry I missed your reply.

I know it seems cruel to make him vomit, but given the possible effects of this drug, and the truly horrible things it can do if he were mine I would induce vomiting.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian