Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a chiweenie. she is a year and 2 months old. And

Hi i have a chiweenie. she is a year and 2 months old. And keeps nibbling on her nails. Chases and bites on her tail. Licks her anus, And rubs her body on the rug to scratch her neck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna i had changed to soresto collar and my mother told me because she is an indoor dog it would be necessary. and that the collar could be irritating her. so i removed it. before that i just used front line liquid that i ran down the spine of her back
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: No thats about it. just the nibbling on her paws and biting of her nails. and the rubbing of her body on the rug to scratch her neck area.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Was she having these itching licking issues before you put the soresto collar on her?

Have you tried any other treatment?

Are you seeing fleas or flea dirt?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's about 10-11 lbs. no fleas or flea dirt on her. She's well groomed

Thank you. And when did the itching licking start? Is the time frame the same as when you put the flea collar or drops on her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was doing it before the collar.

Okay it sounds like she has allergies.

The most common allergies are environmental, food, and flea saliva.

So in her case with no signs of fleas environmental and food would be more likely.

She could have allergies to both.

Your vet could blood test her to see what she is allergic to. That is the only way to know what she is allergic to.

You can try over the counter benadryl which is an antihistamine. 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet every 12 hours.

Over the counter hydrocortisone cream or spray can be applied to itchy areas as well. It is not toxic if she licks it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. She is an indoor dog. Before the collar I used front line. I feed her blue wilderness weight management chicken meal. Doctor had said she was gaiing a bit to much weight so I had her in that dog food. But I been reading articles that chiweenie should get more fatty acids. And the dog food I give her only 9% fat

But you can not control things like pollen or molds or dust mites in the house even if she never goes out. There are things in the house she can be allergic to.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Regular adult human Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream?

Yes, that is correct regular human adult benadryl and hydrocortisone cream.

Chicken is a common food allergen.

The way we determine what they are allergic to is to put them on a hypo-allergenic diet.

It has to be a protein that she has never ever had ever. Some examples are venison, goat, and rabbit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the best dog food you suggest for her breed? Also any ideas as to why she may be bitting her nails. They get cut and grinders by the groomers

For her breed? I thought you were worried about the allergies and so you would need to do a hypoallergenic diet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am worried about the allergies. But she can be allergic to chicken.

She is licking her nails because her feet itch from allergies or she has anxiety. They lick their feet with anxiety.

They can get nail bed infections which cause the nail beds to be red and inflamed. If the nail beds are red and inflamed she should see a vet for sure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's why I was asking what food is a good hypo allergenic dog food.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. No redness. I rub her paws and nails to see if there is any pain. she doesn't react to that. I tell her no each time she licks her paws and bites her nails bed.

Beef, lamb, soy, wheat, corn, and dairy are also common allergens.

I would try Hill z/d for the 8 week diet trial. You can buy it from the vet clinic or online.

You could also do Wellness limited ingredient.

But you need to pick a protein she has never ever had before.

My first guess would be allergies then with all her other symptoms.

As far as why she is licking her nails I would rule out allergies first.

Did all of that make sense? Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I tried hills science diet as a puppy I learned it had fillers.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will change her food. And try the Benadryl tablets. How many days should I give the Benadryl?

Try Wellness limited ingredient then. I just use the Hills z/d for the 8 week diet trial.

If she has allergies they are not going to go away so you have to give benadryl basically for the rest of her life.

You could take her to the vet, get allergy testing done to see what she is allergic to, and then get allergies shots to desensitize her to the allergens.

Otherwise she is going to remain allergic if she has some environmental allergies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh okay. Thankyou very much. This was very helpful.

There should not be any problems with giving benadryl long term.

You are very welcome.

It is going to take some detective work on your part to figure out if it is food allergies or environmental allergies or both.

Even if you get the blood test done that is really only reliable for environmental allergies.

Then you still have to do a 8 week hypo-allegenic diet trial to see if she has food allergies.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby