Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is lethargic, eyes seem swollen and her ears are red on

hi she is lethargic...
hi she is lethargic , eyes seem swollen and her ears are red on the inside and hot to touch
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dillon 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dillon?
Customer: she has anxiety last night there were some fire works
9/12/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When you say her eyes are swollen are you talking about her eyeballs or the eyelids? Have you tried any treatment yet? Is she eating and drinking as usual?

She threw up and doesn't want to eat

When you say her eyes are swollen are you talking about her eyeballs or the eyelids? Have you tried any treatment yet?

I need to ask the additional questions because lots of things can cause lethargy and not eating and vomiting and eye swelling.

No around her yes

Okay thank you.

The first thing that comes to mind is an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction can cause redness in the ears, swelling of the face including the eye lids, and vomiting.

I think it would be a good idea to give her a dose of benadryl. How much does she weigh?

About 30 1bs

Thank you. I would give her a 25 mg of the human benadryl. That is for an allergic reaction. Keep giving the benadryl every 12 hours until the eye swelling and ear redness have resolved.

To help settle her stomach give her 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid Ac tablet or 1/2 of a 75 mg Zantac tablet every 12 hours as needed.

The bendaryl could make her even more sleepy but it should help with the allergic reaction.

If she seems really hungry feed her small amounts of something bland like plain cooked chicken and rice or plain cooked ground beef and rice.

Otherwise it is fine to let her stomach rest tonight and just feed her in the morning.

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions for me?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars.

Thank you.

thank you

Okay perfect. I hope she feels better. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian