Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her paw pads look like they are shredding, Annie and im not…

Customer Question
Her paw pads look...

Her paw pads look like they are shredding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Annie and im not sure between 6 and 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Annir

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annir?

Annie

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these pads to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I suspect that you're seeing hyperkeratosis.

Our messages may have crossed. Here's what I posted above: "Can you upload a photo(s) of these pads to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I suspect that you're seeing hyperkeratosis."

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Yes, the photo reveals paw pad hyperkeratosis. In some dogs, the nose will look similar to the paw pads. This is an idiopathic (unknown cause) condition characterized by the excessive formation of keratin - a structural protein in the skin. Secondary erosions, ulcers and fissures may be present and represent an autoimmune skin disease (the immune system is attacking my patient’s own tissues). This is identified only by biopsy.

The intensity of therapy depends on the severity of the lesions. For mild, asymptomatic cases, affected areas should be hydrated with a warm water soak. A softening agent, then, should be applied every 24 hours until excessive keratin has been removed (~7-10 days). Treatment should be continued on an as-needed basis for control. Effective softening agents include the following: petroleum jelly, A&D ointment, ichthammol ointment, salicylic acid/sodium lactate/urea gel, and tretinoin gel. (The last three are available from Annir's vet.) For fissured lesions, combination antibiotic/glucocorticoid ointment (Panalog, e.g.) may be applied to lesions every 8-12 hours until healed. Horny growths should be trimmed away before hydration and softening therapy are begun. The prognosis is good. Although it's incurable, this is a cosmetic disease that usually can be managed symptomatically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is she suppose to be limping and it pain?

That would be predicated upon the severity of the hyperkeratosis. If she's limping and in pain her vet will want to take a look at the pads. There may be fissures that will need to be treated as I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

take her to the vet soon ?

This isn't a dangerous condition but if Annir is painful, I would want her attended to at your earliest convenience. Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.

Ok thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?