Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 11 year old, not neutered male dog, has a large round

Customer Question

Our 11 year old, not neutered male dog, has a large round lump at the base of his penis, inside,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max...the head his penis has been staying out also. He is on meds for heart failure, if that makes a difference. Enalapril, lasix and vetmedin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He has a heart murmur
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Is the lump on the shaft of the penis?

2- Can you post a picture of the lump?

3- How long has he had this lump?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We just felt it 30 minutes ago, but now there is no lump but the head of his penis is still out and not retracting
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

So the lump was on the shaft, correct?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I believe the lump you were seeing is erectile tissue found in the penis of dogs called "bulbus glandis." This tissue becomes larger when the dog has an erection; basically, your dog had an erection. If the glans penis is out it should go back in once the erection is gone. If he can't retract the penis back into the prepuce you can try to put it back in by lubricating the penis with ky jelly or vaseline and pull the prepuce back into the penis. If you can not put the penis back into the prepuce I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, the penis blood supply could be cut off by compression of the preputial opening, that would be an emergency as the penis can suffer irreversible damage.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter