Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 11 year old, not neutered male dog, has a large round…

Customer Question
Our 11 year old...

Our 11 year old, not neutered male dog, has a large round lump at the base of his penis, inside,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Max...the head his penis has been staying out also. He is on meds for heart failure, if that makes a difference. Enalapril, lasix and vetmedin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He has a heart murmur

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is the lump on the shaft of the penis?

2- Can you post a picture of the lump?

3- How long has he had this lump?

We just felt it 30 minutes ago, but now there is no lump but the head of his penis is still out and not retracting

So the lump was on the shaft, correct?

Friend, I believe the lump you were seeing is erectile tissue found in the penis of dogs called "bulbus glandis." This tissue becomes larger when the dog has an erection; basically, your dog had an erection. If the glans penis is out it should go back in once the erection is gone. If he can't retract the penis back into the prepuce you can try to put it back in by lubricating the penis with ky jelly or vaseline and pull the prepuce back into the penis. If you can not put the penis back into the prepuce I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, the penis blood supply could be cut off by compression of the preputial opening, that would be an emergency as the penis can suffer irreversible damage.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter