Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our new American Bully puppy has a rash on his hind legs. In

Customer Question

Our new American Bully puppy has a rash on his hind legs. In about 2-3 spots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jefe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jefe?
Customer: No new puppy about 9 weeks old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these rashes to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if that pic is clear

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

These are epidermal collarettes in different stages of healing. They usually indicate a pyoderma - bacterial skin infection often caused by Staph. The collarettes begin as pustules and then spread outward in a roughly circular manner. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments (darkens) but the rim can remain actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment can consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs, bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo or both. The shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, your vet hospital, or online. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. (We’re not allowed to prescribe through this venue.) Because Jefe is so young, I would see how the shampoo alone along with the tincture of time (his maturing) affects the skin. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help

It's my pleasure.