Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4yr old, male, Red-nose/AmStaff Pitbull won't eat his dry…

Customer Question
My 4yr old, male...

My 4yr old, male, Red-nose/AmStaff Pitbull won't eat his dry dog food. I've changed brands & flavors & he still won't eat it. He eats wet dog food & people food like he's starving. He looks like he's lost weight & now his breath smells like death. He hasn't eaten a dead animal, although he will kill & eat one but hasn't recently. His gums are black so I can't see if they're reddened. They look a little puffy towards the back of the mouth only. I've heard him yelp 2 times before when eating something hard but thought maybe he bit his tongue. He sleeps a lot lately & feels feverish for about an hour most nights. He's not neutered yet. Has developed 2 very small dark colored mole like growths on his skin (shoulder & upper back) they appeared outta now where, grew for a couple weeks from baby tick size to almost pea sized but hen seemed to stop growing all together. He doesn't like it when I touch them. Can I wait a couple weeks till Oct 1st to take him to the vet or should I rush him in now? What is wrong with him? I know Pits are prone to cancers could it be that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I think that's everything oh he's been very fast past week & stomach sounds like he needs to poop but he doesn't run outside like he's gotta go. He poops in morning & night but the other day it was like diarrhea almost & a light green/gray color

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

Gassy not fast

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

4 years is a bit early for what we'd expect to be normal for the expectation of cancer in a bully breed. Have you tried softening his kibble at all to see if he will eat it?

but he won't it like that. I heard him eating a little bit of dry food several hours ago & he ate a can of Blue Buffalo. My son gave him a slice of cheese pizza but he didn't eat it, he's guarding it.

Please avoid human foods like slices of pizza. Although your companion may be willing to eat this, human foods are often high in fat and their consumption can land dogs in the hospital with major GI symptoms or even pancreatitis which can be life-threatening in some cases. Especially given the symptoms of acting like he's battling GI urgency and is having diarrhea, people food should be avoided as much as possible.

When did the avoidance of food, diarrhea and other symptoms of feeling unwell first develop?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian