Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

They both have kennel cough and i would like to give them…

Customer Question
They both have kennel...

They both have kennel cough and i would like to give them mucinex

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Cooper - 12 Remy - 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cooper age 12 and Remy age 1 - they both have it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

No great health had major blood workup a month ago - stellar health - just got back from kennel yesterday and both have kennel cough

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

great

1- How much do they weigh?

2- Can you tell me the milligrams of Guaifenesin in each tablet or mg per ml if liquid (see label)?

Thank you

Cooper weighs about 85pds Remy about 70pds - I haven't bought anything yet
Are you still there???

Okay, the dosage for Mucinex is 1-2mg per pound body weight every 8 hours. So, you will need to see the concentration of the Mucinex you buy. If you need help calculating the dose you can follow this chat when you have the mucinex.

I am here, I was typing.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Does this help uncomplicated kennel cough?

It helps with the cough, but, it is not going to eliminate the virus or bacteria. If it is a viral infection their immune system will need to clear it up. If it is a bacterial infection they will need oral antibiotics.