Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

They both have kennel cough and i would like to give them

Customer Question

They both have kennel cough and i would like to give them mucinex
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper - 12 Remy - 1
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cooper age 12 and Remy age 1 - they both have it
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?
Customer: no great health had major blood workup a month ago - stellar health - just got back from kennel yesterday and both have kennel cough
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
great
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How much do they weigh?

2- Can you tell me the milligrams of Guaifenesin in each tablet or mg per ml if liquid (see label)?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cooper weighs about 85pds Remy about 70pds - I haven't bought anything yet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there???
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Okay, the dosage for Mucinex is 1-2mg per pound body weight every 8 hours. So, you will need to see the concentration of the Mucinex you buy. If you need help calculating the dose you can follow this chat when you have the mucinex.

I am here, I was typing.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does this help uncomplicated kennel cough?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

It helps with the cough, but, it is not going to eliminate the virus or bacteria. If it is a viral infection their immune system will need to clear it up. If it is a bacterial infection they will need oral antibiotics.