Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

How did my dog get distemper?

How did my dog get distemper?

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your dog has distemper. Was than confirmed with a test?

Is Bandit vaccinated against distemper?

The only way a dog can get distemper is by coming in contact with the distemper virus, and getting infected.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Please let me know how he is doing, and if he was tested for distemper.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was tested and he had to be put down. He was an inside dog and when he had to go out we have a large fenced in yard. The only other dog he came in contact with was his sister. Both have been vacenated.

How old was he? I am so sorry to hear had to be put down. My sincere condolences.

If he definitely had distemper, he must have come in contact with the distemper virus somehow. How long ago since his last vaccination? Decades ago, I did see a dog get distemper from a vaccination. If he had a vaccination recently, you might ask your veterinarian to report it to the make of the vaccine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was just a little over 2yrs old

How long ago was his last vaccination?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure maybe 6months ago

If he got distemper from the vaccine, it would probably have been sooner than 6 months. So, possibly the vaccine failed to protect him, and this definitely should be reported to the make of the vaccine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about his sister could she have it too she seems healthy

If he had it, she was exposed, but possibly the vaccination protected her as it should have.

If I had a dog that was vaccinated and then confirmed as having distemper, I would call the vaccine manufacturers and report it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He got his shots on 4/1/17

That seems like a long time for this to be caused by the vaccine, and vaccine causing distemper is rare. Then I would call the makers of the vaccine that was given, or have your veterinarian call since he or she will know what vaccine was used.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful, and what other questions you may have. I am so sorry you lost Bandit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But he would have to have gotten it from another dog

Or from a virus left by another dog. He might contact the virus without direct contact with the other dog.

The only other possibility is that the test was wrong and it was not distemper.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We had another dog but he didn't die from distemper

If Bandit died but not the other dog, either it was not distemper, or the vaccine Bandit got did not protect him as it should have. This should be reported to the maker of the vaccine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other dog did die but it wasn't distemper

If you know for sure Bandit died of distemper, then the vaccine did not protect him as it should have, and I would contact your veterinarian to find out what vaccine he was given, and then I would call technical support at the vaccine manufacturer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You are welcome. I am so sorry about Bandit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I appreciate it

You are welcome.