Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 15 (DOB 5/5/02) Vizsla. Her back and is very weak

Customer Question

My dog is 15 (DOB 5/5/02) Vizsla . Her back and is very weak and she falls quite a bit. She is currently on Rimadyl. I have about five days left. My vet is unwilling to prescribe more over the phone. Going to the vet creates too much anxiety for my dog. I'm wondering if there is a substitute for a Modelo
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is***** wondering if there is an OTC med substitute for Rimadyl.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Houston?
Customer: She has a heart murmur.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Houston. Regretfully, as to over the counter analgesia you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will try those options.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?