Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gave my 70(ish) lb lab (2) 10mg pills of aceprozamenaninr,

Customer Question
Gave my 70(ish) lb...

Gave my 70(ish) lb lab (2) 10mg pills of aceprozamenaninr, due to hurricane weather in our area ....he,of course is very lethargic and just want to make sure I didn't give him too much and what i can expect how long he will be out of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Dozer and he is 9.5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dozer?

Nope, He's a healthy full energy puppy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Oral dosing of acepromazine is anecdotal but similar to the labeled dosage range of 0.25 to 1 mg per pound of body weight which would be equivalent to ~20 to 70 mg for Dozer. Many of us think that dosages at the higher end of this range are too high. The 20 mg you gave are appropriate and can be given every 6-12 hours if need be. Dogs might remain sedated for up to 24 hours after a single dose, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.