Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my dog for a walk today and while cleaning up his…

Customer Question
I took my dog...

I took my dog for a walk today and while cleaning up his stool I noticed the had blood in it, 3 hours later I get a call from home stating while out on a walk again it was noticed he had blood in his urine as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Cheddar Bob, he is 4 years old, and a very energetic Shizu /poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cheddar Bob

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cheddar?

No typically very healthy, demeanor hasnt changed

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything like rat poison?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

1. Not to my knowledge2. No pre existing conditions3. No other symptoms, appears to be energetic as usual

No need to accept a phone call request. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. Possible causes are parasites, infections, dietary indiscretion, etc. Bloody urine in a male dog is caused by infections, bladder stones, prostate or kidney disease, etc. Less likely systemic diseases like coagulation disorders, toxicity, etc. will cause bleeding in both gastrointestinal tract and urine.

As you can see from the above list there are many possible causes that would cause bleeding in the stool and urine. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your veterinarian, fecal analysis, blood work, urinalysis and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter